CHRIST CHURCH CELEBRATES ONE HUNDRED FIFTY YEARS
On August 26th, 2018, Christ Church, located at 235 John Street, Clayton was the scene of a joyful celebration commemorating the 150th anniversary of its founding in 1868. The Rt. Rev. Dr. DeDe Duncan-Probe, Episcopal Bishop of Central New York, was the celebrant at this service of Holy Eucharist and Order of Confirmation.
Concelebrants included: The Rev. Lisa Busby, current rector of Christ Church; The Rev. Canon John Crosswaite, rector from 2013 to 2017; The Rev. Jennifer Kenna, priest from 2017 to 2018; and The Very Rev. Kathie Adams-Shepherd, rector from1987 to 1996.
At this service, Ms. Sandra Robinson of Clayton confirmed her commitment to faith and Mr. Andrew Salvetti of St. John’s Church in Marcellus was received into the Episcopal Church.
The choral Eucharist included many beautiful musical selections performed by the Christ Church choir and led by Jason Comet, Christ Church organist and music director. Selections included the choir’s offertory anthem, Hallelujah (from the Mount of Olives) by Ludwig van Beethoven, and Mr. Comet’s organ postlude, Suite Gothique:Toccata by Leon Boellmann.
Following the service, clergy and the congregation gathered at the Clipper Inn for a meal and fellowship. The large crowd included many parishioners from St. John’s in Cape Vincent and friends and well wishers from throughout the River Parishes and the Thousand Islands area. This sesquicentennial year for Christ Church also marks the 50th year of the yoking of Christ Church with St. John’s in Cape Vincent. Many parishioners shared their memories of Christ Church. Throughout the meal, Andrew Wood, who served as master of ceremonies, read recollections from memory cards prepared by those in attendance. Following the meal, the sesquicentennial committee (chairperson Christine Tisa, Sue Grant, Shirley Carpenter and Jason Comet) distributed memorial booklets, containing a history of Christ Church compiled by the Grant family.