THE PIPE ORGANS AND HANDBELLS
In 1908, the first pipe organ was installed at the cost of $500, “secured by the faithful efforts of the young ladies of the parish”. Originally built by Alvinza Andrews of Waterville, NY in 1849, for a cost of $800 for Saint John’s Episcopal Church in Clayville, NY, it was installed in Christ Church in the right of the Chancel. It was replaced in 1927 by a pipe organ presented by Dr. James H. Stebbins. No further information on the 1927 pipe organ has been located.
On September 21, 1959, the present organ was completed and was blessed by Bishop Peabody on January 24, 1960. Built by the Delaware Organ Company of Tonowanda, NY, this organ incorporated the 1927 Stebbins façade; the rest of the organ was new and voiced in a Neo-Baroque style popular of the 1950’s-1980’s. Additions and improvements have been made by donations in memory of Horace and Adelaide Jones and Gordon D. and Harriett Cerow.
Christ Church has been blessed by four Organists since the 1920’s: Harriett Cerow (c. 1920-1945), Althea Crandall (1945-1987), Bill Breitenbuecher (1987-2015) and Jason
In the mid 1970’s, a set of 37 hand bells was purchased through generous donations, and a hand bell choir was organized to provide additional music for special services. Under Mrs. Crandall’s direction, this group, including other ringers from the community, played for special events and gatherings throughout Clayton and surrounding communities. In 2017, the bells were restored, and made to sound new again.
The 1958 Delaware Organ in the factory
Comet (2015-present). Except for a very few years, we have enjoyed the choirs of both children and adults to guide our music at Sunday services and special events.